RaptorConnect for Students

Get connected to available resources, such as academic advising, student success services and tutoring through a single web-based system – RaptorConnect.


How do I know if I received an Academic Progress Report?

You will receive an email a few days before the start of the Mid-Term Progress Reporting period reminding you to log into RaptorConnect periodically to view your progress reports.  If you receive a progress report indicating concern from your instructor, you will be notified via email.

How do I see my Progress Report?

Students are notified via email when they receive a Progress Report. To view the details of Progress Reports received, sign-in to RaptorConnect, then click the Reports tab.

When are Progress Reports sent?

The Mid-Term Progress Reporting period for Spring term (Dates TBD).  Faculty are encouraged to issue progress reports for all undergraduate students during this period.

Will my Academic Progress Reports appear on my transcript ?

No, progress reports will not appear on your official or unofficial transcript.

What steps should I take if I receive a progress report indicating concern?

If you receive a progress report indicating concern, the actions you should take will vary depending on your individual academic situation. The notification email you receive will contain a few specific recommendations for you, including:

  • Visit your instructor during faculty office hours or make an appointment with your instructor to discuss your progress in the course and strategies for improvement.
  • Meet with your academic advisor to discuss strategies for success in the course and, if necessary, dropping the course.
  • Explore university resources, such as the Learning Center or Dean of Students.

Who can I contact if I have questions regarding progress reports?

If you have questions regarding feedback given to you for a particular course, contact your professor directly for more information. You may also contact your academic advisor, success coach or counselor.  If you are experiencing personal issues or have a health concern, you should contact the Dean of Students Office to meet with a staff member who can provide assistance.